Hocking County is a large community that is home to some of the most naturally beautiful scenery in all of Ohio. The community is notorious for the kindness of its people and the extensive forestry that engulfs it. The total area is 424 square miles with 421 square miles being made up of actual land, while 2.3 square miles is made up of water. The people who reside in Hocking County enjoy their days by either hiking along the the trails to Old Man’s Cave, or renting pontoons and floating down Lake Logan with friends and family in tow.
Hocking County is comprised of many different townships that include: Benton, Falls, Good Hope, Green, Laurel, Marion, Perry, Salt Creek, Star, Ward and Washington. As of 2010, the population of Hocking County was 29,380 people. These townships, mixed with other census-designated places which include: Carbon Hill, Haydenville, Hide-A-Way Hills, and Rockbridge are all encompassed by Hocking County.
The county seat of Hocking County is Logan, Ohio and is home to many of the counties attractions like Hocking Hills State Park, Lake Logan State Park, Rockbridge State Nature Preserve, and the Hocking Hills Winery. The rural beauty of the county makes it the perfect out-of-town romantic get away for couples who would like take a break from constant accessibility and focus on one another while enjoying a beautiful forest. Not only is this a place for couples, but Hocking Hills also accommodates families as well. The various waterfalls, rock outcrops, gorges, caves and forestry that surrounds the area attract all kinds of people from all walks of life.
The only school district within Hocking County is Logan-Hocking schools. Logan-Hocking schools are the largest schools in the area with the highest enrollment due to sheer size in population. Out of all the schools in the area, Logan-Hocking have the largest classes of graduating students with total enrollment being 1,134 students. The school that comes closest to this amount is Nelsonville-York with its enrollment being approximately 800 students. The Logan-Hocking mascot is a Chieftain in honor of the Chief of the Mingo Tribe that lived in the area in the early days of European-American settlement.
With the amount of hidden woods that surrounds these students, it is common to stumble upon them in large groups enjoying each others company after a Friday night football game. They can be found under a canopy of trees in Hocking Hills, unwinding after a long week of waking up at 6AM for class and dealing with nosey parents.
HOCKING COUNTY was formed March 1, 1818, from Ross, Athens and Fairfield. The land is generally hilly and broken, but along the main streams level and fertile. Area about 400 square miles.In 1887 the acres cultivated were 49,087; in pasture, 88,976; woodland, 49,726; lying waste, 2,316; produced in wheat, 323,884 bushels; rye, 2,667; buckwheat, 669; oats, 47,195; barley, 792; corn, 303,707; meadow hay, 11,504 tons; clover hay, 848; potatoes, 24,083 bushels; tobacco, 110 pounds; butter, 293,822; cheese, 150; sorghum, 4,244 gallons; maple syrup, 928; honey, 2,550 pounds; eggs, 267,750 dozen; grapes, 6,865 pounds; wine, 55 gallons; sweet potatoes, 1,729 bushels; apples, 12,027; peaches, 2,971; pears, 202; wool, 199,072 pounds; milch cows owned, 3,487. Tons of coal mined, 853,063, being exceeded only by Perry, Jackson and Athens county. School census, 1888, 7,982; teachers, 152. Miles of railroad track, 80. Population of Hocking in 1820, 2080; 1830, 4,008; 1840, 9,735; 1860, 17,057; 1880, 21,126, of whom 18,459 were born in Ohio, 631 in Pennsylvania, 430 Virginia, 114 Kentucky, 96 New York, 59 Indiana, 423 German Empire, 198 Ireland, 129 England and Wales, 37 Scotland, 18 France and 13 British America. Census of 1890, 22,658.
The name of this county is a contraction of that of the river Hockhocking, which flows through it. Hock-hock-ing, in the language of the Delaware Indians, signifies a bottle; the Shawnees have it, Wea-tha-kagh-qua, i.e., bottle river John White, in the American Pioneer, says: “About six or seven miles northwest of Lancaster there is a fall in the Hockhocking, of about twenty feet; above the fall, for a short distance, the creek is very narrow and straight, forming a neck, while at the falls it suddenly widens on each side and swells into the appearance of the body of a bottle. The whole, when seen from above, appears exactly in the shape of a bottle, and from this fact the Indians called the creek Hockhocking. This tract of country once belonged to the Wyandots, and a considerable town of that tribe, situated at the confluence of a small stream with the river, one mile below Logan, gives the name Oldtown to the creek. The abundance of bears, deer, elks, and occasionally buffaloes, with which the hills and valley were stored, together with the river fishing, must have made this a desirable residence. About five miles southeast of Logan are two mounds, of the usual conical form, about sixty feet in diameter at the base, erected entirely from stones, evidently brought from a great distance to their present location.
- Extracted from
Historical Collections of OhioBy Henry HoweVol.I © 1888